Tonight, you saw your daddy grab my bum. And ya know what? I’m okay with that. In fact, I am COMPLETELY and ENTIRELY okay with that.
Glad you asked.
In fact, while I’m at it, I’ll go ahead and share a whole list of things I want you to know (over time) about sex.
Make no mistake, you’ll hear these words come straight from your mama’s mouth as you grow, but figured it wouldn’t hurt to get a head-start on brainstorming my list.
So here goes…
- Sex is not a naughty, cuss word.
- Sex was God’s idea, not man’s.
- God wrote about sex. If you don’t believe me, check out that little book called “Song of Solomon.” Kids, that “garden” wasn’t filled with tulips and that “cluster of grapes” wasn’t attached to a vine.
- Sex is like riding a roller-coaster. It’s safe when you wear the harness, but it’s not safe when you don’t. Marriage is the harness that God intended; wear the harness………………………………..
- Sex outside of marriage can cloud your judgment and lead you down a bunch of unwanted paths.
- Though sex may feel good, it doesn’t mean it is “good.”
- Sex is never casual.
- Sex is not supposed to happen in a group or on the computer.
- You don’t have to have sex with someone to know you love them.
- Sex outside of marriage is sin.
- Sex outside of marriage can have long-reaching consequences.
- Sex outside of marriage is not an unforgivable, unpardonable sin.
- Intercourse is not the only thing that falls into the “sex box;” don’t fool yourself.
- “Having a baby” isn’t the main reason why we abstain from sex outside of marriage………………………………..
- Men like sex.
- Women like sex.
- Christian men and Christian women like sex.
- Sex is not just a “worldly activity.”
- The world has distorted sex and demeaned sex.
- The world has glorified sex and glamorized sex.
- The Christian culture has squashed sex and silenced sex.
- The Christian culture has let the world lead the conversation on sex, and it’s been a disaster.
- Sex can be awkward to talk about; your parents are okay with awkward.
- Sex can be weird to ask questions about; your parents are okay with weird questions.
- Silence breeds shame.
- Shame builds secrets.
- Sex doesn’t need to be a shameful secret we “google” on our computers and process on our own.
- Marriage is more than sex; much, much, MUCH more than sex.
- Sex is ONE way to express love; it’s certainly not the ONLY way.
- Sex is a healthy and normal part of marriage.
- “Lots of sex” is not necessarily an indicator of a healthy marriage.
- “Little sex” is not necessarily an indicator of an unhealthy marriage.
- Sex is part of a covenant, not a contract.
- Sex can be abused in marriage.
- “Movie sex” is not necessarily “marriage sex.” You’re a partner in a marriage, not an actor in a movie.
- Your sex life does not need to be compared with that of your friends. You are not your friends and your friends are not you.
- Sex takes work.
- Sex takes time.
- Sex takes communication.
- Sex is not only about her.
- Sex is not only about him.
- Sex is about loving him, loving her, and honoring Him.
And that’s all I got for right now.
But rest assure, I’ll be thinking of more and taking notes as they come. Because in all honesty, kids, these conversations are absolutely necessary and absolutely good–conversations that can’t be ignored, shouldn’t be dodged, and most certainly won’t be shoved in this house. The reality is…we love you too much to avoid a little bit of awkward.
Oh, oh…just thought of some more!
43. Your parents have sex.
44. Your parents like sex.
45. Your parents have had sex on the…
Okay, okay…I won’t take notes on everything.