Caden Paul and Evie Rae,
- We are imperfect people who will sometimes hurt you; we own that.
- Because we are imperfect people, there will be times when we will fail at loving you; we expect that.
- There will be times when we will be wrong and you will be right; we’ll come to grips with that.
- We love you to Mars and back, but we love each other more; we’ve committed to that.
- We discipline you because we love you; we have chosen that.
- We aren’t going to fight your battles, right your wrongs, or take responsibility for the choices you make; we refuse to do that.
- We don’t expect you to act like, look like, or be like each other; we don’t want that.
- We are going to make decisions for our family that will sometimes feel unfair and not make sense to you; we’re okay with that.
- We can love you without liking your choices; we want you to believe that.
- We will struggle at times to know how to “be there” and also “let go;” we admit that.
- We won’t be the only influences in your life; we aren’t wanting that.
- We won’t always understand you; we will talk about that.
- We will have friends and activities outside of you; we need that.
- We will have moments when we freak out and assume; we will need grace for that.
- We will unintentionally pass on our “junk” and our “yuck” to you; we will be in prayer about that.
- We hope to encourage you, challenge you, and disciple you; we desperately want to do that.
- We will sin against you, hurt you, and maybe even wound you; we are sorry for that.
- We would love for you to be life-long friends who happen to be siblings; we will support you in that.
- We won’t be able to meet your every need; we can’t do that.
- We will want things for you that you might not want for you; we will accept that.
- We won’t be like your friends’ parents; we accept that.
- We want you to feel safe with us; we will work toward that.
- We won’t always reflect God well; we will ask forgiveness for that.
- We can’t make you a follower of Jesus; we will ask God for that.
- We will love and support you as best we can; we can promise you that.
Daddy and Mommy